The extreme cold combined with wind chill creates a substantial risk for frozen or burst pipes. Freezing water turns to ice within the pipe, which in turn can expand and block the line. This blockage can create excessive pressure throughout the system and cause pipe failure in vulnerable places—no matter if the pipe is made of plastic, copper or steel. Even a tiny crack can unleash more than 250 gallons of water in a single day. The results of frozen water pipes can cause property damage and high repair costs.
Follow these plumbing tips to help minimize the risk of freezing pipes, and to help prevent damage and expensive repairs.
If You Have Frozen Pipes
- Shut off the water main leading into the structure to reduce pressure on frozen pipes and minimize flooding if the pipes burst.
- Use a hair dryer to thaw the ice blockage if the frozen pipe is exposed and visible. (Do not use an open flame to thaw!) If frozen pipes are not visible, call in Foukas Plumbing.
- If you notice slower water flow and expect frozen pipes, you should call a plumber immediately. Typically, issues like this can be resolved before any damage occurs.
If you experience frozen water pipes call 978-332-6857 (Paul Foukas Jr.) or 857-251-2509 (Paul Foukas)!
Prevention Tips for Frozen Pipes
- Open cabinet doors under sinks and in storage areas to allow heat from the room to circulate around uninsulated pipes. Allow a trickle of hot and cold water to drip overnight; however, be careful not to run the water into a drain line that is exposed to the extreme cold because that line might freeze.
- Insulate all pipes in unheated areas or against uninsulated outside walls, in garages and in crawl spaces. Apply heat tape or thermostat-controlled heat cables around pipes that are exposed and prone to freezing.
- Make sure the heat is turned on in the building and is set no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
One thought on “Frozen Pipes Prevention and Repair Services”
Paul JR has been my plumber for several years. During each consult and or service call, he has been completely professional and able to deal with any problem or emergency. His technical knowledge and ability to tackle tasks makes him an invaluable contractor,